Thursday, January 13, 2011

Progress with the dome

Well I've been busy this past week. I finished up sanding the inner and outer domes so they'd sit flush with each other then trimmed out the areas where hp's and lights will go. Primer went on next on all the little pieces and the outer dome. Then color to see how it would look. I used Tamiya Aluminum and Dupli-color Metal Specks Retro Red. Hard to see the red with this photo so I'll try to get a better one later.
The dome came out fairly well with a couple coats of light grey primer and 3 thin coats of red, letting each coat cure for about a day in between.




You can see the color better in this one with a flash. Smaller pieces aren't permanently attached just yet. I wanted to see how the overall color scheme looked. I need to go in with a fine brush around each edge with some grey paint so the inner dome doesn't stand out so much.. or maybe some black. Hmmm. Also need to remove the painter's tape covering where the radar eye will sit.
 I'm not really sure but I think I'm missing a panel here. I've gone through the box to look for it and nothing there. The area is flat enough though that I shouldn't have a problem cutting out another piece of styrene and adding it here. Also need to finish trimming the bottom edge and the dome plug. Whew, what a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment